Full Decision Download
This matter came before a panel of the Discipline Committee of the College of Optometrists of Ontario on May 16 and 17, 2017 in Toronto, Ontario:
THE DISCIPLINE PANEL MADE THE FOLLOWING FINDINGS:
1. That Dr. Metzger committed an act or acts of professional misconduct in that, between approximately June 8, 2016 and July 13, 2016, he contravened a term, condition or limitation to which his certificate of registration was subject and, in particular, he practised optometry without the supervision of a mentor optometrist; and
2. That Dr. Metzger committed an act or acts of professional misconduct in that, between approximately July 13, 2016 and July 27, 2016, he contravened, by act or omission, the Optometry Act, 1991 the Regulated Health Professions Act, 1991 or the regulations under either of those Acts and, in particular he contravened section 76 of the Health Professions Procedural Code; and
3. That Dr. Metzger committed an act or acts of professional misconduct in that, between approximately June 8, 2016 and July 27, 2016, he engaged in conduct or performed an act that, having regard to all the circumstances, would reasonably be regarded by members as disgraceful, dishonourable, unprofessional or unethical and, in particular, he deliberately contravened terms, conditions or limitations on his certificate of registration and/or deliberately prevented or tried to prevent the College from investigating whether he had engaged in misconduct and the extent of that misconduct.
THE DISCIPLINE PANEL MADE THE FOLLOWING ORDER:
1. Directing the Registrar to revoke Dr. Metzger’s Certificate of Registration; and
2. Requiring Dr. Metzger to pay to the College costs in the amount of $40,000.00, payable in two instalments, the first payment of $20,000.00 payable within six (6) months of the date the Panel’s order becomes final, and the second payment of $20,000, payable within twelve (12) months of the date the Panel’s order becomes final.