Filing a Complaint

How to File a Complaint

If you have an unresolved concern with an optometrist, the College encourages you to first speak directly with the optometrist to see if a solution to the problem can be reached. 

You may wish to lodge a formal complaint if the problem has not been resolved successfully. The complaint must be filed in writing or recorded on tape, film, disk or other medium.

If you wish to make a complaint against an optometrist, please complete and submit a Complaint Form here:

For information about the complaints process, click here.

If you have any questions about the complaints process or how to file a complaint, please feel free to contact us:

Mail: 65 St. Clair Avenue East, Suite 900, Toronto, ON M4T 2Y3

Telephone: 416 479 9295

Toll Free1 833 402 4819 

Fax: 1 647 577 4271


Alternative Dispute Resolution

In certain cases, the College may be able to offer ways other than a formal investigation to quickly resolve minor complaints.

Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) is a process where a mediator works with both the complainant and the optometrist to resolve the problem in a way that suits both parties.

ADR is confidential and without prejudice, which means any decision made during ADR does not necessarily mean the optometrist has admitted they were at fault, nor does it remove any rights from the complainant. Both the complainant and the optometrist must agree to take part in ADR, and either party can withdraw from the process at any time.

Formal investigations are put on hold during the ADR process and will only resume if the mediator confirms an agreement cannot be reached.

If an agreement is reached and approved by the College Registrar, then the matter is considered resolved.

Learn more about the College’s ADR process.