Optometrists have an obligation to protect patient information, however, there are circumstances where an optometrist is required to report relevant information to government or regulatory agencies. In Ontario, regulated health professionals must also report information that is pertinent to the conditions of their registration to their college.
These requirements are outlined below.
Reporting to Outside Agencies
- Reporting requirements in the Highway Traffic Act
- Reporting requirements in the Aeronautics Act
- Reporting health privacy breaches under PHIPA
- Reporting health card fraud under the Health Insurance Act
- Reporting sexual abuse to other regulated health colleges
- Duty to report a child in need of protection
- Duty to report disease