Full Decision Download
This matter came before a panel of the Discipline Committee of the College of Optometrists of Ontario June 15, 2015, in Toronto, Ontario, at 09:30 am at 65 St. Clair Ave. E.
1. THE DISCIPLINE COMMITTEE FOUND Dr. Petra Cantrup guilty of professional misconduct as provided by section 51(1)(c) of the Health Professions Procedural Code, being Schedule 2 to the Regulated Health Professions Act, 1991, S.O. 1991, c. 18, and as set out by section 1(1) of O.Reg. 119/94, as amended, under the Optometry Act, 1991, S.O. 1991, c. 35, in that:
- Dr. Cantrup failed to abide by a written undertaking given by her to the College and/or a Committee, and/or failed to carry out an agreement entered into with the College and/or a Committee, contrary to paragraph 35 of Ontario Regulation 119/94, section (1)1; and
- Dr. Cantrup engaged in conduct or performed an act that, having regard to all the circumstances, would reasonably be regarded by members as disgraceful, dishonourable, unprofessional and/or unethical, contrary to paragraph 39 of Ontario Regulation 119/94, section (1)1.
2. THE DISCIPLINE COMMITTEE ORDERED that:
- Dr. Cantrup is required to appear before the Discipline Committee and be reprimanded;
- Terms, Conditions, and Limitations, shall be imposed on Dr. Cantrup’s Certificate of Registration until such time as the obligations imposed upon her are satisfied;
- Dr. Cantrup shall pay costs to the College in the amount of $5,000, due within 30 days of the date that the Discipline Committee renders its decision in this matter; and
- The terms of the above penalty shall be included in the Register of the College and shall be fully accessible to the public.
At the conclusion of the hearing Dr. Cantrup waived her right to an appeal and the Discipline Committee administered the public reprimand.